Monday 30 September 2013

Using iPads/iPhones to learn

I have had an iPad for about a year now, and an iPhone for two. I don't think I have done any real e-learning with either device. It's only now, that I can see the possibilities, that I am starting to look in to apps that actually help and assist to learn. So many features that I haven't looked at, seen before or even thought about using are now becoming what I am so excited to use. Just going in to my iPad, downloading apps to view/edit documents, create puppet shows, quizzes and polls is amazing! I have had these devices for so long, yet only used a fraction of what they are capable of. Today I discovered an amazing one - taking screen shots of your screen, as you're doing it. It may sound simple, but it will make a big change in how I do things. Screen-shots of documents, what I'm doing in a particular app, or how to do a step-by-step guide are now not only possible, but easy. I love it!

Working through this course, I am truly amazed by how short a time we have had this type of technology. If iPhones only came out in 2007, we've only had 6 or so years to come to terms with the changes that we are now facing in the way we interact with everything - each other, learning, communication... it's a long list. So keeping up and learning the new world is a big step for a lot of people. It's very new.

Often, we get caught up in not wanting to learn something new - I've done it a certain way for so long, why should I change? Is it only a passing phase, should I be bothered? I can see the problems, especially for older learners. But as an adult learner, the more I find out, the more I am interested! The more possibilities I see. The more I learn about the way we look at technology, and the way we interact with it, the more I can see that the future's headed in this direction. We need to see it, and embrace it, and not be scared by the change. I would always rather wait and see - I never want to download that update, try the new model or new technology right away. I'd rather wait for other people to work out the bugs and then I'll come and have a look. I'm seeing the downside to that now - I want to embrace the change and start working to change my own points of view. And to do that, exploration of my mobile devices is a great start - I am learning so much more than I thought possible (with the device I already had!). I can't wait to see how this will help and impact my ideas towards adult learners, and the things they can do, learn and enjoy with mobile devices!


No comments:

Post a Comment