Wednesday 9 October 2013

Creative Commons Licensing

Looking at the different licensing options for my work is a strange and different concept for me. Trying to decide how I feel my work should be used and shared is an unusual thing. I am very happy that is anyone should find my work useful or helpful in any way, they should definitely use it. I would rather it be free to be used by those that need it, in a more educational or personal way. Two licensing types stood out to me:

  • Attribution-NonCommerical-ShareAlike CC BY-NC-SA
  • Attribution-ShareAlike CC BY-SA
These licenses allow others to remix or build upon my work, the only difference between the two is whether it can be used for commercial purposes. For now, I am happy to go with NonCommercial- the work that I am doing now is for educational purposes, for my own learning and to interact with the learning of others.

I am happy for others who might find any of the work I do in this course to use it as they see fit, to help them in any way it can and to benefit from anything I have done. I would be happy for others to use my work, provided they share that work with others. I would also like the License Jurisdiction to be International - I am happy for people anywhere to use my work.

I have chosen to go with Attribution-NonCommerical-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported license. I have included my choice below - embedded in my blog is the Creative Commons license icon that matches the choice I have gone with.

It is only now that I start to think of my own copyright obligations to my workplace. It's not something I have thought about - I have always considered my study and work fairly separate, except when I think about the learners I support in my everyday work - they are the people that I base my context upon (thought not specifically my current workplace, it is more a culmination of the experience I have had from all the places I have ever worked).

My own copyright obligations to my workplace is something I will need to investigate further, and certainly, if I am working in a more aligned context to my study, it would become something that may really impact on the way I work and what I can bring outside of that work context.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment